Sunday, September 11, 2005

Irish Hiking Scarf, pt. 2


Ok, so I started over. I decided to get a little fancier with the cables, putting a left cable on the right and a right cable on the left. In the middle, I decided to do a ribbed right cable, so I had to add one stitch to total cast-on. And the yarn! I've been very happy with Knit Picks Sierra. The cables show up really well, and the 30% superfine alpaca gives it a softness that many wools lack. It also knits up pretty fast as it is a bulky weight yarn.

I also taught myself how to do cables without the cable needle from these web resources:
cablelesson
cable video

3 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

How wide is the scarf in Sierra? I've been wanting to try that yarn and haven't been able to come up with a project I want to try.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Erica.Hysterica said...

Shannon,
It measures about 6 1/2 inches on size 7 needles. I think, if I do this scarf again, I would do it with 8s or 9s for a somewhat less dense fabric. I've enjoyed working with the Sierra on this project.
EH

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger knit_chick said...

The scarf looks great. Isn't it fun doing cables without a needle? Talk about speedier!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home