Friday, March 24, 2006

FO: Better-Than-Booties Baby Socks

Pattern: Better-Than-Booties Baby Socks (pdf) free from Interweave Knits.
Designer: Ann Budd
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (machine washable!!) in Daffodil #204. The pattern claims that you can make 3 pairs of baby socks from every skein. Lots of colorways available through Jimmy Beans Wool
Needles: US 0
Gauge: ??

If you look at the pattern, you will see that it has quite a few variations, some with cables, lace or ruffles. I didn't do any of the patterns. Instead I did 2x2 ribbing for the leg of the sock, but I tried out a new technique, 2 circs instead of on dps! I used instructions for the 2 circ method I found on socknitters. I only used the 2 circs for the legs. After that, I did revert to the dps. I anticipate using this technique a lot for future socks and other small circular projects that require 2 (sweater sleeves, mittens).

About Shepherd Sock yarn. I love it! There are so many colors available and it is machine washable. I'm not really sure how much yarn I used. This was stash yarn. I purchased it a couple of years ago to make my sister arm warmers (that turned out fabulously). I also have another colorway called Desert Flower #100 with purples, pinks, turquoise, and browns that I am thinking about knitting up as baby socks too. I can't wait to get more, but I need to make some more socks first (self-restraint is a virtue, isn't it?)

The baby socks are for a good friend of mine who is pregnant, due at the end of the summer. I can't wait to try out more baby patterns and baby yarns! Some others patterns I'm thinking about are: Lovable Toys rabbit and elephant and Child's Placket-neck pullover from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts and Aran Pullover from Knitting For Baby. Actually, there are lots of other patterns that look like a lot of fun too.

My friend just told me she is having a boy! Should this change the way I knit for the child? I'm amazed at how gender defining even the youngest of baby garmants are. I guess I wouldn't have sent her any lacy, frilly things, even if she were having girl, but what about color choices? I don't want to knit anything that screams girl for her boy, or boy for her boy. I am going to try to be as gender neutral as possible. (This isn't just for me. I'm sure my friend wouldn't want anything too gender defining.)

Oh, I don't know if my D(soon-to-be)H knows that I am knitting these baby items for my friend's baby or if he thinks I am going crazy on him, knitting baby things for my future children (I am not pregnant, but he knows I want to have children soon.) I think I may have forgotten to say who they were for. He did say they were cute.

3 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jane said...

Hi Erica,
I've been trying to find the Better than booties baby socks pattern, but the links on your blog are not working and a search of Interweave Knits didn't turn it up either. Can you help me find it?
Thanks!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Erica.Hysterica said...

http://www.interweave.com/knit/projects/gifts.asp
It is the second one down. I hope that helps.

Erica

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Erica.Hysterica said...

Jane, Thanks for letting me know about the broken link. I guess I should test my posts more thoroughly. The link to the pattern should work now.

Erica

 

Post a Comment

<< Home